Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 38

They always tell you in the NICU that there will be many ups and downs. They say that and I think I understand but it seems I always forget that when he's having a good day. Every good day I can't help but think the worries are over. I know they tell you that so you're not so disappointed on the bad days but it's so hard to remember. Nate went back a half step this morning. His oxygen needs went up to about 44% which is quite a difference from the past couple of days. The doctor thinks he's probably taking on fluid in his lungs again so they did a chest x-ray and will start him on some diuretics again. He seems to respond to them well so hopefully he'll be feeling better tomorrow. Poor little guy . His morning wasn't all bad though. He did gain another ounce and a half. He's so close to that 2 lb mark! Keep growing Nate! He also had a visit from his occupational therapist. She works with him once a day stretching his arms and legs and massaging his face and head. He LOVES it! It's so cute to watch him. He gets his grumpy face ready as she unwraps him and wakes him up but as soon as she starts stretching his legs his face just melts into the most content look. I can just hear him thinking "Ooo that feels nice". He is such a funny boy and everyone just loves him. This afternoon he gave us a good scare. Todd and I had just left to get some lunch. Half an hour later the hospital called. It's never good news when you get a call from them. Nate had vomited some of his milk and his breathing mask pushed it through to his lungs instead of letting it out. Apparently he struggled for quite a long time and ended up needing a lot of help to recover. By the time we got there he was doing better and an hour later he was back to where he had been previously. The doctor said that was a good sign and they most likely wouldn't have to put him back on the ventilator. They did totally stop his oral feeds though and inserted a tube down to his belly to keep everything suctioned out for now. Lesson learned today...good day for Nate = good day for mom. Bad day for Nate = mom being a crying mess and not wanting to leave the hospital.  Let's hope tomorrow is better.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I am so sorry you all had a rough day. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why the OT feels good to him? I can understand the massages, but the stretching? Weird.

    I know each ounce is so important, so he can be stronger to deal with his ups and downs.

    I'm surprised they won't let you have 24/7 access. I seem to remember being able to go whenever I wanted to cause I couldn't sleep at night, so I'd spend alot of 2am's in the NICU with Jacob and the nurses.

    Be sure to take care of yourselves too.

    ReplyDelete