Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 41

No big changes for Nate today. The doctor is going to go up on his calories just a bit to see if we can get back to some good weight gain. It has slowed down quite a bit over the past few days. That and another blood transfusion and hopefully he'll be one happy boy tomorrow. Other than that he's been a little champ! Since he's been so good, I'll make today a picture day :)

Nate's breathing mask works by puffing air down into his lungs to keep them inflated. He has a nasty habit of hanging his mouth wide open. When he does that the pressure meant for his lungs comes right out of his mouth. We have tried to come up with creative ways to get him to keep his mouth shut but none of them have worked too well until this one...




The chin strap has worked well for Nate for the past week or so but after his throwing up incident on Tuesday they decided the chin strap might not be the best option for him. This picture is dark but while I was holding him last night I tried to hold his mouth shut so he wouldn't have such a hard time keeping his oxygen levels up (I have spent many hours sitting next to his bed holding his mouth shut...little stinker) He grabbed my finger and held on for an hour and a half. My wrist was totally cramped up by the end but it was totally worth it :)




Last but not least...some of Nate's many cute sleeping positions. He has to have his hands up by his face. If you swaddle his arms, he will NOT sleep. I'm pretty sure I take a new picture of him sleeping every day.



















And my personal favorite...




Is he not the cutest thing you've ever seen?!?!

2 comments:

  1. He is pretty darn cute! Happy Mother's Day, Dusti. Hard won, huh. Happy happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to one of the most courageous mothers I know! Love you!

    ReplyDelete