Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 66

Nate hit a great milestone with his weight this weekend. He's over 1500 grams!! This brings lots of changes for our little monkey.

Sunday, he was able to be weaned a little bit more on his CPAP pressure. His doctor said he'd hope to have him on a regular oxygen cannula by 34 weeks. The CPAP cannula is much better than the mask he had before but it is very thick and stiff. It makes it uncomfortable for him to sleep because it runs right along the side of his face and laying on it leaves big dents in his face. It's also very hard to keep it in his little nose. It's size makes it very easy for Nate to grab hold of it and pull it out. His poor nurses struggled everyday to keep that thing in. He did so well on Sunday though that they were able to switch over to the regular cannula yesterday! It was 3 or 4 days sooner than they had expected. It's quite a bit less support for his little lungs so the transition is a little rough for his oxygen levels but overall he is doing pretty well with it. He is definitely much more comfortable and he looks like such a big boy :)

He also had to have a new PIC line put in on Sunday. He gets his IV nutrition through it. We were hoping that he would be on full oral feedings by the time he needed a new one but we didn't quite make it. He outgrew his old one and probably will still need it for another couple of weeks at least. It's a pretty easy procedure but it takes quite a long time. Todd and I weren't allowed to stay in the room since it is a sterile procedure. We knew he would do fine but it is still hard to not be nervous when you have to wait in the waiting room not knowing what's going on. He did amazing though. The nurse practitioner said he slept through the whole thing. Must not have been too painful I guess :)

My favorite milestone...1500 grams means Mr. Nate gets to finally wear clothes!!! I've been so excited for this day all week! Doesn't he look so stinking cute all dressed up in his puppy pajamas?



8 comments:

  1. He looks so cute! He's getting some chubby cheeks! It's so exciting that he can wear clothes now! I was so excited when Conner and Emma finally could. Yay for good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stud muffin! He looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so weird. In my mind, I thought he was weeks away from wearing clothes yet, but I suddenly felt like I better find those onsies I KNOW I had, but I couldn't find them after searching every inch of the apartment over the weekend. I think I may have had them in a sack that got thrown away by accident. So I went shopping for more yesterday, and passed up those exact same puppy pajamas with the puppy feet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!! Very cute!!! to think that he's filling them out so well even! what a cutie! good job little guy!! Keep on growing! We miss your parents too much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! Those cheeks! I feel like you should warn him.. Since it took him awhile to get those cheeks .. Extra kisses are a must!! Just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. His face is filling out. He is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dusti!! He is perfect!! I haven't commented on any of your posts but I want you to know that I have been following you and your sweet family through this journey. You and your sweet baby Nate have been in my prayers!! We love you so much!! (I had a bunch of typos in the first post :) all fixed now!!)

    ReplyDelete